Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 April 2019

The Day After The Storm

It's the day after the storm now, and it looked
like very sunny weather. We got dropped off at the trail by the same shuttle driver, at the same place. We arrived there at about 1130 after a busy drive up - a lot of people were being picked up or dropped off along the same logging road.

Dana wanted to phone his wife, I think, and so Carly and I were set to head off sooner. She insisted I hike at my own pace so I know what it's like to not be slowed down by her. I already knew that - it means walking alone for a long time - but I ended up setting off alone.
The backup plan was to get to Gooch Shelter, which I got to for lunch. There I met another three through hikers - Mat, a welshman from Ipswich; and Audrey and Shaun, but I don't know where in the USA they're from. They finished lunch and were heading out from Gooch when I arrived to start mine. We chatted for a bit but then they set off.

After lunch I signed the logbook at the shelter to let people know I was OK and headed for Lance Creek. Along the way I saw some amazing views, of which photos will be published eventually, and bumped into Audrey and Shaun a few times. I overtook them and then kept stopping for views which let them catch me.

I also saw a familiar face. A woman who greeted me and wished me luck almost immediately after leaving the visitor centre way back in Amicalola! If this were a novel she'd reappear a few more times and secretly be an angel. She sent me off,l at the very start, appeared to me again after a harsh storm and sent me off, and so on.

I made it the the tent site at about five and maybe made some new friends. However, I've not had word from or seen anything of the three I left behind or of Andy who I met in the hotel last night. Oh well.

Goodnight

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is really great. I'm glad you had a good day after the storm, fingers crossed that you have met up with the other guys again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Chris - enjoying reading about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete