Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 May 2019

Last days in the Smokies

The penultimate say wasn't as wet as the day before. It was mostly just damp. There isn't much to say of it. That night, though, the heavens opened again.

The final day started well enough. I had slept warm and dry, and the weather was comfortable and cool. Views were non existant though.

I made it out and went to look at Standing Bear. 'tis a commune. They give you a slip of paper upon which you write any purchases, and then pay at the end. It was also dark, rank and nasty looking. I didn't stay. So I pushed on, to have a long day. Longer than I expected. Halfway up Snowbird, the heavens opened again. A deluge. I was walking through streams again like the last couple of times it stormed. Not wanting to face setting up camp in the rain, I ended up pushing to the next shelter. Including side trips to Mt Cammerer, whose good view I did not get, I did  20miles. Maybe more. I am exhausted.

1 comment:

  1. That's a really tough day; you did really well. Hope you had a good dry nights rest.

    ReplyDelete