Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 May 2019

A hot day and a long day

Saturday was hot. So very hot. It was over thirty degrees. My forecast for Erwin said a high of thirty-two, but it felt much worse. I still managed a thirteen or so mile day, with Soulsurfer for much of it. We camped just shy of Unaka Mountain's peak, having done the last four or so miles without much in the of water. We met a father, son and uncle sectiowayn hiker group at camp where the two of us were also joined by a woman named Ladybird (and later at night, Doc too). Icewater pushed on to the peak.

But this is all just set up for Sunday.

Icewater, Ladybird and I met for lunch before planning a dubious plan. I was originally planning on trying for twenty miles to Ash Gap when Icewater mentioned wanting to get to the highest shelter on the AT, which was twenty-two miles. Guess who did it?!

That makes Sunday my longest day by about two miles, but also had some serious climbs such as two thousand feet gain in four miles.
I also ate more than two thousand calories of twixes. I'm not sure what I'm most proud of....

Tomorrow, that is Monday, I'm going to get all the way to Roan Mountain - which is about fifteen more miles.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Chris thats some going especially in that heat. Good old Twix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could get a sponsorship deal with Twix....

    ReplyDelete