Search This Blog

Thursday 28 March 2019

New gear

 So I've been quiet again lately.  I don't have much to say at the moment.

I do again now though.  I have new kit since my original kit lists.
I've overhauled some of my electronics kit, I have new footwear, and I have lighter dry bags.

Let's start with that last one.  Before I had some old exped drybags that weighed I don't know how much and carried I don't know how much.  Now I have two osprey 'ultralight' drybags that are 6L and 12L.  They fit my clothes and my quilts.  I can also shove my electronics in the clothes bag.

Speaking of which.  Gone is my heavy anker powerpack, now I have a Zendure X6 and a 60W charger.  It holds about as much charge, but has more USB ports and can charge quicker.  As in it can be charged faster and it can charge other things faster, in part thanks to the 60W plug.

Now for the most important thing. Shoes!

I've let myself be convinced in trail runners, after my boots went a bit wrong a while ago. After an ordeal at Cotswold where, despite their valiant efforts and nearly a dozen different types of shoes, we decided they didn't have any that would fit.
However!

The Cotswold Man, whose name shan't be revealed, told me of.. another place.

In a place hidden in fields and woods..

      .....there is a village...

                                           ....a village untouched by modern road design or town planning....

And in that village is an outdoors shop.
And there I met another man.  A man whose name shall also not be revealed.
And his wife whose name I did not learn for it was not spoken in words.

It was there that we sat, and pondered.

We thought...
               ........and debated.......
                                                         ....and discussed...

Until at last, these wise sages of many an outdoor activity suggested a shoe unlike others.

A shoe little seen in these lands, and imported from a far off place, from across the shining sea.
These shoes were light, soft and flexible but also broad of toe.

They were a running shoe, named the Altra Lonepeak 4.0, and into them we place my feet.

And then we placed special insoles, like but unlike superfeet.
 They supported my arch like the legendary superfoot, however they were softer and more malleable elsewhere unlike the superfoot.


But we were not finished, for then they clad me in garments most strange and unnatural.
For instead of my sock and liner sock, they had me strip bare my foot and placed upon it..

                                                      ...injini..

These socks are as like you have never seen before, I wager; for they are to other socks as gloves are to mittens.  Now each toe was free to wiggle and probe, isolated and yet together - separated into little toe socks.



It felt fucking weird.


Many thanks to TrekHireUK for helping me find what is the best fitting shoes I've had in a while.
Also, here's a link to my lighterpack where I can worry about how heavy my gear is.

No comments:

Post a Comment