Search This Blog

Friday 4 January 2019

Gear Testing

Testing gear is important

Before going out on hikes, especially long ones, it is important to make sure it all works and you know how to use it.  It is beyond stupid to go out into the woods and spend ages working out how to put up a tent in the dark at night after miles of hiking.

So, last night I tested my gear in the garden.

Temperatures dropped to about -3, but I stayed toasty warm.  Using a DD Hammock Stand to hang my hammock and starp up, I was comfy and dry in case it rained.  It didn't, but just in case.  The tarp was a little lower than I'd like, as it was hung from the hammock suspension and not its own suspension.  It meant I didn't haven't much headroom; I had to stoop rather a lot to get under the tarp. 

My two fluffy quilets from Enlightened Equipment, the Revol and Revelation, kept me very warm.  I was dressed up in thermals and had a bottle of boiled water in case I needed it; but the quilts were more than enough. 

I grabbed a pillow from the house to make sure I was comfortable, and I was.  Very.  Very very comfortable. 

In all in all, my gear works pretty darn well it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment