Search This Blog

Thursday 13 December 2018

Training

So what am I doing to get fit for the trail?


Not much, you might think.  I'm not going on any hikes before then, I'm not even going on many day hikes.  What I am doing though is going to the gym.  My thinking is each step is sort of like a lunge, only not a very deep one; and strengthening my back (and other muscles) will make carrying a (hopefully-not-so) heavy backpack easier.
There's actually some good thinking behind this and not just me trying to convince myself.  Strengthening my muscles does mean I'll be able to do the harder parts of hiking better than otherwise.  I've also lost quite a lot of weight (more than 10kg!) since this time last year and am quite possibly in the best shape I've ever been in.  I'm hoping to hit the trail in April in great shape.  The average times for a through hike is somewhere between 5 to 7 months, hopefully be going into it already fit I'll be able to be in that lower portion if I want to or be able to easily cruise through for a 6 month hike.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment